11 June 2003




The British Home Secretary is trying to Americanize the British criminal justice system. He wants to put community policing in place and maybe even to have local prosecutors elected. And he still wants to hire people who aren't British to work in law enforcement.

I am curious as to why anyone would emulate our system. Considering the number of people we have in jails and prisons and the amount of crime I see every day, empirical evidence would seem to show that our system doesn't seem to work very well.

Is he - dare I say it - an Ameriphile? Probably not. A guess: the British New-Left is probably taking a page from Clinton's old playbook and doing things which the Right would clamor for in order to shut it out of power. The question is whether there will eventually be a backlash which will leave the Left there in the shambles it is in here as Old-Left tries to reassert itself. I don't know enough about British politics to feel assured in my guess much less to answer whether there might be a backlash. Anyone got a better fell for this than me?

.

No comments: