12 March 2006

How to Get A Judge Mad

So, I'm coming out of the lockup area where I've just finished explaining to a client what the judge has done in her show cause hearing. Her hearing went pretty well and the conversation was fairly painless. I overhear this conversation:
Judge: We're here to consider whether I should put you in jail because you didn't go to your court ordered alcohol treatment program and when we tested you this morning you have a blood alcohol content of .12. You're only 19; you shouldn't be drinking at all.

Defendant: I only had a couple of beers.

Judge: 2 beers? Two Beers? WHEN DID YOU DRINK THEM? 5 MINUTES BEFORE YOU WALKED INTO COURT?
I had to go to another courtroom and thus missed the end of that conversation. However, I suspect things probably went downhill from there.

No comments: