16 September 2004

Outa Here

Client gets 20+ years from federal court (low end of guidelines).

Aunt calls to ask what happened in the sentencing hearing.

Aunt, the family legal expert, has been the source of a great deal of problems in the case: "If you show accomodation he can't be found not guilty of conspiracy to distribute." Client is getting at least 10 more years from a superceding indictment which her meddling caused.

So what's her reaction when she hears the sentence? She screams at me: I'm a terrible lawyer. I'm nothing more than just another prosecutor. I should have told him to take a "grand jury." It's my fault that he's going to prison. I suck. The system sucks. It ain't fair. I suck. I'm a terrible lawyer. If I knew what I was doing none of this would have happened. God will make "all of you" pay for this. I suck.


Well, I'm going to go drink beer now. Lots and lots of beer.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Dude, I'll have a virtual beer with you. I prefer Pilsner Urquell.

Skelly said...

I'm in. Gimme a Diet Pepsi.

Curtis said...

Why is it that there is always someone in the family who believes they understand the law better than us? Often you hear the husband or wife or parent in the background saying, "tell him about this" or "I told you he doesn't know the law". Sigh...

Mark said...

I'm still a larval lawyer, but I feel for you. Have one for me.

Blonde Justice said...

Are we going out for a beer or for squash? I like squash with lots of butter...

Blonde Justice said...

Are we going out for a beer or for squash? I like squash with lots of butter...