29 April 2003

_________________________________________

Finals are in progress up at New Haven.

Ah, law school finals - it takes me back to the halcyon days of finals at W&L Law. Located in the hamlet of Lexington, Virginia, where The General is buried, battle flags just might outnumber people, and the War of Northern Aggression is still seriously remembered as the War of Northern Aggression, Lexington, which makes New Haven look like a booming metropolis, Lexington where I remember thinking, "I eschewed application at Ivy League schools and turned down Vanderbilt for this?" Lexington where a student from NY City asked me in the first week of class if the locals know the War is over and that The General lost (heresy only a Yankee could speak)? Lexington where . . .

O.K. I was ranting a little bit. My main memory of finals is that just as Fall finals began the buzzards would start flying circles around the school (I'm not kidding here). They would keep circling until some time after we all left for Summer break. Then they would re-appear just before finals the next Fall. I always wondered how the Professors arranged it.

.

No comments: