07 January 2004

Found around the Blawgosphere II:

I respectfully dissent comments on a man kept in prison despite being cleared by DNA evidence.

The Legal Reader points to a story wherein an illegal immigrant is punished for doing the right thing.

Southwest Virginia Law Blog points to a decision by the Virginia Court of Appeals that you waive your ability to make the Commonwealth prove jurisdiction if your client pleads "no contest." For what it's worth, I agree with that but I do not think that it relieves the Commonwealth of the burden of proof. The judge should still find that all the elements are proven. Not that you have any resort if he doesn't - you've given up your right to appeal. Not sure how this got in front of the appeals court.

Professor Yin has been kind enough to post my comment despite the fact that I obviously cannot spell.

No comments: