10 September 2006

Creeds and Such

Tom took some time to fuss about this Public Defender Creed which he found at Skelly's place of blogging.

Personally, I operate on the assumption that for every job, profession, calling, or service someone has written a creed such as this which heightens the importance of that particular task and, thru implication, detracts from others. The last one which actually hit me emotionally was this:
The Soldier's Creed:

I am an American Soldier.

I am a Warrior and a member of a team.

I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.
Had to memorize and yell that a lot in basic training. At the time I'd never have admitted it, but the Creed definitely sank in.

Anyway, I'm sure there's a Prosecutor's Creed out there somewhere which has just as aspirational and inspirational statements in it as the P.D. Creed. Anybody got a copy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found a link here that might fit in. Link points to the Creed of the Mercy County's(NJ)Prosecution Office.

http://www.mercerpros-nj.com/creed_of_the_mercer_county_prose.htm