25 January 2003

________________________________________________________________________________
My Web Site

The Legislature refused to pass a law subjecting the driver to arrest if he is clearly sober and a passenger has an open container of alcohol. Delegate Purkey asks, "What is wrong with telling someone, `You can get in my car and I'll take you home, but you can't bring your beer?" You have to wonder if the Delegate has ever had to talk a drunk guy into going home before. Your first task is to get him in the car and giving him an ultimatum is not helpful in doing that.

This gentleman must have a pretty powerful prohibition movement in his district (usually MADD). Can't blame him for representing their interests; I would too if they were my constituents. I just don't see anything good coming out of this legislation. If I ask the question: "will arresting a sober driver because a passenger in his car has an open container significantly improve traffic safety?" I have to answer "No."

No comments: