25 July 2003




Florida is restoring the right to vote to 125,000 convicted felons.
"It's a drop in the bucket," Berg said. "The state needs to get rid of this antiquated, Jim Crow system."
Amen. I understand not letting felons have a firearm (or at least violent felons) but not allowing them to vote? We have the same system set up in Virginia and it disturbs me; it doesn't bother many of my clients1 but it disturbs me.



1 It has been my experience that when I tell my clients that if they plead guilty to the felony they will lose their right to vote, hold office and ever even hold a firearm they are most concerned about how much time they have to serve. When your client asks you "will I get out today if I plead guilty?" and the answer is yes, quite often that is all he wants to hear. I've even had guys whom I've told that we will almost certainly win their cases order me to take a deal if I can guarantee that they will get out of jail that day (frustrating).

.

No comments: