15 January 2004

In Virginia, if you're found in contempt you better make sure you shout the reasons for your objection to the contempt as you are being dragged off to jail or you won't have preserved your error.

Actually, this case isn't quite that bad. A lawyer files a motion alleging a lack of jurisdiction the day before a hearing. Then, on the day of the hearing he tries to say that the opposing party has waived any objection to his motion because it has not filed an answer. The court sort of looks at askance and tells him that the motion will be taken up after the hearing (BTW, for those who don't know, that means you lose). He persists in trying to get the court to rule on whether or not it has jurisdiction and eventually:
THE COURT: Have a seat.
[APPELLANT]: It's not proper to go forward on anything, Your Honor. I'm noting my objection to that case.
THE COURT: Well, what I'm going to -- listen, let's get something straight. If I want to hear from you, I will ask you to talk. I don't want to hear from you right now. I want you to have a seat, and I want to hear from [opposing counsel]. Sir, if you open your mouth again I'm going to hold you in contempt of court. Do you understand that?
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor --
THE COURT: That's $100.
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor --
THE COURT: That's $300.
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor --
THE COURT: That's $500.
[APPELLANT]: I'm obligated under the --
THE COURT: That's $500. I will do an order later. . . .
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor, I'm obligated under the Constitution of the United States --
THE COURT: Sir, I'm going to have you removed from the courtroom if you don't be quiet.
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor, if I can just --
THE COURT: No, you may not. Be quiet. Sit down. Are you
amused by something?
[APPELLANT]: Well, Your Honor, I believe that it -- I actually find it irregular in this case where someone is trying to put an objection on the record for the Court to tell him he can't do that.
THE COURT: You already put the objection on the record, and all you're doing now is talking when I told you not to.
[APPELLANT]: Your Honor, I've asked you to respond to the record, which I believe -- respond to the objection, which I believe --
THE COURT: You're up to $700. If you want to go for more, that's fine. You can deal with it with the Appellate Court.
At this point even the dimmest of bulbs has got to know that he's not going to get to talk anymore. Heck, if there is that much ire directed at him he has to wonder if they might even dust off the old plenary contempt and see if they can send him to jail for longer than the 10 days allowed by statute. There is no way he's going to be allowed to state the reasons for his objection to the contempt. Still, the appellate court refuses to address this on the merits because he has not preserved his reason for the objection.

C'mon, just rule on the merits. It's not like this conviction's going to be overturned. What's the worst that can happen? You send it back to the court reversed as to sentence with an instruction to reduce the fines to the maximum allowed by law. I don't think even a lawyer could claim that as a moral victory. Although, I do know some guys who wear their contempt citations as badges won on the battlefield. Of course, these are the same guys who will tell you that you aren't really a defense attorney until a judge has sent you to jail for contempt (in which case I will be one of those individuals who will strive never to become a "real" defense attorney - I'll just try to become the best damn lawyer in the courtroom).

No comments: