21 June 2003




West Virginia is setting up a Mental Health Court. I assume this is going to run something like Drug Court and I think it is a good idea. I hope it is set up so it can handle dual track individuals. I get a lot of people with mild mental problems and drug problems. Trying to deal with one and not the other usually leads to failure. One of my clients was diagnosed with manic-depressant disorder and addiction to cocaine. He was taken into Drug Court but as soon as they got him off the crack he had what was described to me as "a full blown psychotic episode." They kicked him out of Drug Court (without sanctions) and the last time I saw him he was being held at a ward for seven days to ascertain his condition. As far as I know - and I strongly suspect this - he is back out on the street self medicating.

.

No comments: