29 November 2004

The absolute, very last post on Gut Feelings

I had assumed the wrong thing from this language:
Once you do realize the objective facts, lay them out in your report.
I am informed that I am in error:
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I have not suggested that officers have a gut feeling, make a stop and then sit down to justify it later. That would frankly skate the line. What I have done is encouraged officers to think then and there about what bugs them about the situation and then make the stop and be able to express what that is.
What can I say? I know you all thought I was perfect and I'm so sorry to disappoint ya'll. Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa. I'd offer penance such as we see the Easterners do in all the stereotypical movies except (a) I'm Occidental, and (b) I like having ten fingers.

No comments: